Followers

Monday 3 July 2017

THE KOOTENAYS



Ron and I were late leaving Osoyoos. For some reason I was unable to repack the trunk of the Toyota in a timely fashion even though we were two cartons of books roomier. (Did I mention that I got 40% in mechanical aptitude in high school?) Also, I had not properly registered the fact that we were due in Nelson at noon, and I had been taking my time with our departure. Nonetheless, after tossing the bed bar in the back seat, I finally got the trunk lid shut and Ron survived the knuckle-biting ascent out of Osoyoos. (Did I mention that he is not fond of heights?) Unfortunately we encountered two construction delays and one torrential downpour. Consequently it was almost 1:30 pm when I parked the Toyota on one of Nelson’s main streets and got out to ask for directions to the Nelson Public Library. (Did I mention that we do not have a Smart Phone or SatNav?)
            Unfortunately the first three people I encountered on the busy sidewalk were tourists. I changed tactics. “Are you local?” I began to ask. Eventually locating a local, I discovered that we were only a couple of blocks away from our destination. Fortunately our host and stroke recovery facilitator, Marg Dietrich, was on duty at the library till 2 and she had been confident that we would turn up soon or later. After meeting librarian and author, Anne DeGrace, and unloading some books for the evening reading, Marg, Ron and I left to spend some down time at Marg’s house where Ron and I had been invited to spend the night.
Marg drove. Like most of the streets in Nelson which boast a steep slope, her driveway is very steep, has a sharp U-turn at the bottom and the top, and is difficult to find if you are not a local. The entrance to her driveway is also right next to the self-same steps that Steve Martin skipped down in the opening scene of Roxanne. I was thrilled to see them. After enjoying a cup of tea and some of Marg’s home-made rhubarb coffee cake, Ron lay down on the living room couch to rest. Marg and I made a brave attempt to sit out on her deck but the storm that Ron and I had battled earlier blew in and she and I retreated to the TV room and shared a wonderful bottle of local dark ale. (Did I mention that Marg and her husband had started the all organic Nelson Brewing Company?)
There were six of us for dinner at Max & Irma’s Kitchen. Writer Tom Wayman and author Barb Curry Mulcahy had driven in from the Slocan Valley to visit with Ron before the reading and Deborah Rusch had come to support Marg and provide informational materials about the Living with Stroke program after the reading. Meanwhile, I happily concentrated on the delicious pizza.

 Attendance at the library was excellent. There were over thirty people present despite the fact that another local author, whose mystery novel had just won a prize in Europe, was also appearing at a nearby venue. Ron’s reading was excellent. The audience asked lots of questions. Book sales were good and my long time friend, Suzanne, and I even had a chance to visit. 


No comments:

Post a Comment