Followers

Thursday 26 January 2017

WORDS from the WEBSITE

Dear Ron,
One month into my brother’s survival of a catastrophic stroke that wiped out his right brain at age 44, I just finished reading your book today. In a labyrinth of misinformation, and at times despair, your words have been the reassuring thread I’ve followed. When nurses are mean and procedures are dehumanizing and terrifying, your words and your humanity are there providing untold comfort. Your insights about giving yourself over to the various procedures was particularly helpful – until I read that I cringed for every imagined “attack” I knew my brother had to bear. Likewise your unfortunate room-mate – the kind of character a fictional editor would demand as a hurdle for the hero, no? But how illuminating to think that the cranky juice fiend played his own role in you finding your way back.
I want to give every single health professional I meet this book. I’ve also read Stroke of Insight and have a stack on Neuroplasticity to follow up on next, but The Defiant Mind is head (both lobes) and shoulders above.
As a writer, I’m in awe of what you’ve accomplished with this book. How can something so useful be lyrical!? It’s also an incredible inspiration – any one suffering a mild case of writer’s block should pick up a chapter and think – didn’t have to surmount that to set words to page!
Again, thanks. And best wishes that tiny improvements ever continue. Bravo.

Emily Weedon

January 25, 2017 @ 11:45 pm

No comments:

Post a Comment